“La semplicita’ e’ la piu grande sofisticatezza” ~ Leonardo da Vinci
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
“Ingredienti selezionati e lavorazioni semplici creano un ottimo cibo” ~ Anonymous
Great ingredients and simple processes simply make great food
Storia della Pizza – History of Pizza
The first pizza was made in 1889, when the Pizzaiolo (pizza maker) Napoletano Raffaele Esposito created it in honor of the visiting Queen Margherita. Of the three different pizzas he made, the Queen strongly preferred the pizza with the colours of the Italian flag: Red (tomato), Green (basil), and White (mozzarella). The “Pizza Margherita” was born.
Fatta come deve essere – Doing it the right way
There are only a handful of families that can trace their pizza making roots back to the 1800’s and still today conserve the knowledge and experience as a gift to future generations. Among them is the Surace family, owners of Pizzeria Matozzi founded 150 years ago in the heart of Napoli. Working at this historic landmark with the Suraces’ and undergoing rigorous training at the Pizza Associazione in Napoli, allows us to offer this uniquely great product to our Tri-City area patrons.
Vera Pizza Napoletana (VPN) – True Neapolitan Pizza
In order to be considered a Vera Pizza Napoletana the following is required:
- Farina Tipo Doppio Zero (00 Italian Flour), Pomodoro San Marzano DOC tomatoes, Fior di latte mozzarella, and extra virgin olive oil.
- The pizza must be baked in a wood-fired, low domed oven at 485°C for no longer than 90 seconds
- The dough must not be worked with a rolling pin or any other device.
- The diameter of the pizza must be 12”. 1/8“ thick at the centre and a Cornicione (crust) measuring ¾ “ height.
- The pizza should be elastic with a soft centre, easily foldable into a “libretto” booklet.
- The pizza should be of a golden, slightly charred colour crust, with mozzarella patches spread over a red bed of tomato sauce.
- Toppings should be sprinkled around to create a perfect balance of texture and flavor.
- The Pizza Napoletana is to be enjoyed as soon as it comes out of the oven.
Nostro Forno – Our Oven
A Vera Pizza Napoletana must be baked in a double chambered, low dome, wood burning oven under the VPN specifications. Our Stefano Ferrara oven is a “Hand Made” brick and mortar dome with a floor built with refractory stones “Biscotto Sorrentino” from the Mt. Vesuvius area. They are built using materials and techniques passed down by generations of “Napoletano” oven makers in order to achieve the perfect heat distribution at almost 500°C without burning the crust.
Il nome Doppio Zero – The Doppio Zero Name
Among all the elements necessary to make a Vera Pizza Napoletana, without a doubt the single most important one is the dough. Obtaining an airy crust with a sweet, nutty flavor and a springy characteristic of the Pizza Napoletana, requires an extremely fine milling of the wheat to produce a flour known as “Tipo 00” or Doppio Zero. To highlight the impact of this unique Italian flour in the texture and flavor of the Pizza Napoletana we have named our Pizzeria “Doppio Zero”.